Saturday, January 21, 2012

Copper Beach by Jayne Ann Krentz, exploring new venues

Copper Beach is the first of Jayne Ann Krentz's 'Dark Legacy' series.  Similar to her 'Arcane Society' books, this novel centers on crystals and their utilization in paranormal manipulation.  Krentz effortlessly creates heroines who have overcome disdain and rejection from those who should have supported them yet have managed to hone their skills and become contributing members of society and Abby is no exception.  The combination of arcane elements, suspense and romance always make these novels entertaining reads.  There is a great scene where her investigator/bodyguard gets into a technical discussion with their attacker in typical geek fashion.  It is unclear whether these books will intersect with the Arcane Society books but there are definite similarities in the series.  My Goodreads review is at this link

Even though I have not quite figured out how to refine my blog yet, I have gotten distracted by a couple of other sites.  I have received several invitations from Linked In but haven't really paid a lot of attention to them until recently.  I was a little startled to follow one of the e-mail links and discover that I had connections to friends, family and authors.  It is a little creepy to me that the site was looking through my e-address book and I am constantly reminded of the "big brother" fears that used to be prevalent in the sci-fi books of several decades ago.   That is one of the drawbacks to all of the social media sites, all of the information that gets instantly disseminated.  As the saying goes, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you"

(I don't know if the FTC blogger's rules insist on knowing this as well, but I read a library copy for this review)

2 comments:

  1. I love her books and am looking forward to reading this new series as well.

    I hear ya about being paranoid about what info is out there on the internet..it all seems so easily accessed at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also a nice excerpt to whet your appetite for the next book, Crystal Gardens!

    ReplyDelete