Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What makes an awesome book?

I enjoyed author Karen Ranney's blog post for June 4, 2012 because she analyzes what she considers to be the "6 Components to An Awesome Book".  My favorites from her list are:
"No. 2.  A plot that makes sense, could be put into the “real” world, and doesn’t make me roll my eyes. In other words, it could happen. Believe it or not, that applies to paranormals, too, but the rule is – it could happen in the world the author has created."
(I frequently complain when the book that I am reading is not logical within the premise of the world that I am reading about.  That is intriguing to me because I find that I am willing to suspend disbelief...and accept that there are shapeshifters or vampires who find true love or whatever...but I will only believe in those worlds to a certain extent, and only if the author manages to keep me enthralled with the story...otherwise I start picking at what I perceive to be holes in the story.)

and

"No. 6.  An uplifting, pleasant feeling when I close the book. I don’t want to be depressed when I finish a book, or saddened, or angry. Above all, I don’t want to be grossed out." 
(That seems to be my issue frequently in the past few books that I have read.  I don't like my heroines to be downtrodden or constantly assaulted or abused and I like to see my stories ending with hope...not depression.  That's why I don't read horror stories and I tend to shy away from post-apocalyptic tales although I must admit some of the ones I have read have been really compelling).

Please visit Karen Ranney's blog for her complete list at this link.  She has a wry sense of humor and a refreshing candor that comes across in many of her posts and she is a prolific author.  I have the pleasure of having her newest release A Scandalous Scot on my very long list of books to be reviewed in the next couple of months or so and will post my review when available.  Feel free to comment on any elements that you think are required for your particular definition of an awesome book!

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, I do the same thing. I want it to be believable even if there are vampires and werewolves. if an author can make me believe it could happen..that's a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I always laugh at myself when I start grumbling...I have this line in the sand...and don't want it to be crossed in this particular world-view! I am willing to tolerate some inconsistencies but when I reach a certain point, then everything else seems to annoy me.

    ReplyDelete