Friday, February 15, 2013

Yummy reads

                              

As usual, I am juggling a couple of things (yes, my default mode) so my brain gets scrambled because I tend to focus on my editing jobs and the reviews get piled up.  I have 8 waiting to be written up and I will try to get them done soon but wanted to mention this particular one.  I recently had the opportunity to read Night Blade by JC Daniels and wow, I had to go back and re-read sections and I STILL cried every time I read them.

Now, I have an embarrassing tendency to get emotional (you know, I am one of those people who can see perfect strangers crying and start sniffling myself) but usually I can keep it down to a dull roar.  This was one of those books that I had to really struggle to describe to my hubby without my voice breaking.  How silly is that to get invested in a fictional character to that extent?  But, wow, that shows you the power of this author's writing.  Don't recognize the name?  Ah---perhaps you will recognize the alter-ego....Shiloh Walker.  This is her paranormal series featuring a cantankerous kick-butt heroine and a yummy alpha male shapeshifter and I thought that the initial book in the series, Blade Song, was impressive but this one set the bar even higher.

                                 


Now, if you are not familiar with Ms Daniels/Walker's books, I warn you, she doesn't treat her characters with kid gloves...they definitely go through VERY tortuous times...and sometimes I am a little too disturbed by all of the horrendous things that happen so be forewarned, these are NOT light airy paranormal/urban fantasy tales and might be a little hard for some to read.  But wow, what a read.  My Night Owl review is at this link.  The book is being released in March but that gives you plenty of time to pick up Blade Song so you will have the background for this one.  My review for that one is at this link.  I am now impatiently wanting a sequel and know that it will be all too long before there is a new one in the series!



I also had the opportunity to read a short novella called Aspen Shift by Lindsay McFerrin which is also a shapeshifter story by an author whom I have not read before.  I was pleasantly surprised and although there are some inconsistencies in the story, I really enjoyed the writing so I think this author is going to be one to watch out for in the future.


     


And don't forget, if you love historical romance, Lady Eve's Indiscretion by Grace Burrowes has been released and if you are a military romance fan, ML Buchman's Wait Until Dark is out.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know shiloh also wrote under that name. I will definitely have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is an amazingly prolific author and this series is a wonderful addition to her collection!

    ReplyDelete