Thursday, August 15, 2013

For the Love of Magic

                                            

For the Love of Magic
by Janet Chapman is part of a series that I really enjoy since it combines my favorite genres of fantasy and romance!  It is releasing at the end of the month.  Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to read the title that came just before it (The Heart of a Hero) but I wasn't at all lost, however I still am anxious to read that one too!





My review:


For the Love of Magic by Janet Chapman is part of the ‘Spellbound Falls Romance’ series.  Rana Oceanus has taken a stand and moved away from her beloved husband Titus, relocating in a whimsical house on the shore of the Bottomless Sea which was created by her son Max.  Even though the immortal Titus has no doubts that his mortal wife loves him, she is acting uncharacteristically secretive and moody even as she overcomes some of her fears to master some of the modern inventions such as manual transmission vehicles.  Titus is juggling a few things including a life-changing decision and his life is somewhat complicated by a recently formed cult which seems determined to add a new deity to the already crowded pantheon.  The lives of many of the inhabitants of Spellbound Falls and its surrounding areas are going to be radically changed, one way or another, but it may be a matter of opinion as to whether it will be for the better or for worse.

This fun contemporary series does an exemplary job of combining romance and fantasy.  The author gives glimpses of the various families which are melded from a variety of times, cultures and beliefs.  The very real fear that Rana is coping with is easily understood while the light notes that are introduced by the precocious youngsters who seem to be proliferating in the region are a constant delight.  I love the struggle depicted as the very protective males strive to allow the women in their lives freedom to be themselves even as they occasionally risk more than their mates are comfortable with.  The lovely magical elements continue to enthrall and I particularly enjoyed the physical manifestation of the struggle between the male and female members of the cult as the poor deity is being formed as well as the ongoing inventive conversion of the orcas into very competent land guardians.  Readers who are new to the series would benefit from reading prior novels but will still undoubtedly be captured by the spell of this story even if they lack extensive knowledge of all of the characters.  Another excellent addition to a very entertaining series that promises to have even more upheaval in subsequent titles, can’t wait to see what else sprouts from the fertile mind of this talented author.


© Night Owl Reviews

I received a copy of this title in return for an honest review.


My apologies, the blog has been quiet for a few days because I have been scrambling to get a few other things done...and I had 5 dates set aside at the request of a publicist...who somehow inexplicably failed to provide any material...after explaining briefly that there were some delays.  After that...nada...which is a little frustrating, especially since I try not to double-book things and now I have to try to fill the rest of the dates or contact the folks I turned away.  I sometimes hear complaints about the irresponsibility of bloggers but it is important for others to realize that we are juggling a myriad of things also so it is important for both sides to keep their commitments!

2 comments:

  1. I have had the pleasure to reading at least one book in this series and LOVED it. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I am a little frustrated because I haven't had time to go back and read the series that interconnects with this one but I am not at all lost, no matter where I pick up...and I love the myriad of characters who I get to meet.

      Delete